Training for Your Group
Training On Demand
This four-day Performance Tuning and Optimizing SQL Databases training class provides students who manage and maintain SQL Server databases with the knowledge and skills to performance tune and optimize their databases.
Course Length: 4 days
- Individuals who administer and maintain SQL Server databases and are responsible for optimal performance of SQL Server instances that they manage. These individuals also write queries against data and need to ensure optimal execution performance of the workloads.
Individuals who develop applications that deliver content from SQL Server databases.
- Basic knowledge of the Microsoft Windows operating system and its core functionality.
- Working knowledge of database administration and maintenance.
- Working knowledge of Transact-SQL.
What You're Going To Learn
- Learn to describe the high level architectural overview of SQL Server and its various components.
- Learn to describe the SQL Server execution model, waits and queues.
- Learn to describe core I/O concepts, Storage Area Networks and performance testing.
- Learn to describe architectural concepts and best practices related to data files for user databases and TempDB.
- Learn to describe architectural concepts and best practices related to Concurrency, Transactions, Isolation Levels and Locking.
- Learn to describe architectural concepts of the Optimizer and how to identify and fix query plan issues.
- Learn to describe architectural concepts, troubleshooting scenarios and best practices related to Plan Cache.
- Learn to describe architectural concepts, troubleshooting strategy and usage scenarios for Extended Events.
- Learn to explain data collection strategy and techniques to analyze collected data.
- Learn to understand techniques to identify and diagnose bottlenecks to improve overall performance.
This Course is Available On Demand
90 Day Access
90 Day Subscription
180 Day Access
180 Day Subscription
180 Day Access +
180 Day Subscription
SQL Server Architecture, Scheduling, and Waits
- SQL Server Components and SQL OS
- Windows Scheduling vs SQL Scheduling
- Waits and Queues
- Lab: SQL Server Architecture, Scheduling, and Waits
SQL Server I/O
- Core Concepts
- Storage Sulutions
- I/O Setup and Testing
- Lab: Testing Storage Performance
- Database Structure Internals
- Data File Internals
- TempDB Internals
- Lab: Database Structures
SQL Server Memory
- Windows Memory
- SQL Server Memory
- In-Memory OLTP
- Lab: SQL Server Memory
Concurrency and Transactions
- Concurrency and Transactions
- Locking Internals
- Lab: Concurrency and Transactions
Statistics and Index Internals
- Statistics Internals and Cardinality Estimation
- Index Internals
- Culumnstore Indexes
- Lab: Statistics and index Internals
Query Execution and Query Plan Analysis
- Query execution and optimizer internals
- Analyzing query plans
- Lab: Query execution and query plan analysis
Plan Caching and Recompilation
- Plan cache internals
- Troubleshooting plan cache issues
- Query store
- Lab: Plan caching and recompilation
- Extended events core concepts
- Implementing extended events
- Lab: Extended events
Monitoring, Tracing, and Baselining
- Monitoring and tracing
- Baselining and benchmarking
- Lab: Monitoring, Tracing and Baselining