Training for Your Group
Training On Demand
Course Length: 5 days
Description: Get expert instruction and hands-on practice configuring and managing clients and devices by using Microsoft System Center v1511 Configuration Manager, Microsoft Intune, and their associated site systems. In this five-day course, you will learn day-to-day management tasks, including how to manage software, client health, hardware and software inventory, applications, and integration with Intune. You also will learn how to optimize System Center Endpoint Protection, manage compliance, and create management queries and reports. Additionally, this course, in conjunction with Microsoft Official Course 20695C, also helps certification candidates prepare for Exam 70-696: Managing Enterprise Devices and Apps.
Audience: This course is for experienced information technology (IT) professionals, typically described as Enterprise Desktop Administrators (EDAs). EDAs deploy, manage, and maintain PCs, devices, and applications across medium, large, and enterprise organizations. A significant portion of this audience uses, or intends to use, the latest release of Configuration Manager and Intune to manage and deploy PCs, devices, and applications. By using Configuration Manager with Intune, EDAs also can support either domain-joined or non-domain-joined Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) scenarios, mobile-device management, and secure data access on common operating-system platforms, such as Windows, Windows Phone, Apple iOS, and Android. This course also is for individuals who are interested in taking exam 70-696: Managing Enterprise Devices and Apps.
Prerequisites: Before attending this course, students must have working knowledge at the system-administrator level of the following:
- Networking fundamentals, including common networking protocols, topologies, hardware, media, routing, switching, and addressing.
- Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) principles and fundamentals of AD DS management.
- Installation, configuration, and troubleshooting for Windows-based personal computers.
- Basic concepts of public key infrastructure (PKI) security.
- Basic understanding of scripting and Windows PowerShell syntax.
- Basic understanding of Windows Server roles and services.
- Basic understanding of the configuration options for iOS, Android, and Windows Mobile device platforms.
Students who attend this training can meet the prerequisites by obtaining equivalent knowledge and skills through hands-on activities, or by attending the following courses:
- Course 20697-1: Installing and Configuring Windows 10
- Course 20697-2: Deploying and Managing Windows 10 Using Enterprise Services
- Course 20411: Administering Windows Server® 2012
- An understanding of on-premises virtualization technologies, including virtual machines, virtual networking, and virtual hard disks.
- An understanding of network configuration, including TCP/IP, Domain Name System (DNS), VPNs, firewalls, and encryption technologies.
- An understanding of web applications, including creating, configuring, monitoring, and deploying web applications on Internet Information Services (IIS).
- An understanding of Active Directory concepts, including domains, forests, domain controllers, replication, the Kerberos protocol, and Lightweigh Directory Access Protocol (LDAP).
- Knowledge of Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2016 fundamentals.
- Knowledge of Windows PowerShell command-line interface basics.
- Knowledge of cloud computing basics.
What You're Going To Learn
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the features Configuration Manager and Intune include, and explain how you can use these features to manage PCs and mobile devices in an enterprise environment.
- Prepare a management infrastructure, including configuring boundaries, boundary groups, and resource discovery, and integrating mobile-device management with Microsoft Exchange Server.
- Deploy and manage the Configuration Manager client.
- Configure, manage, and monitor hardware and software inventory, and use Asset Intelligence and software metering.
- Identify and configure the most appropriate method to distribute and manage content used for deployments.
- Distribute, deploy, and monitor applications for managed users and systems.
- Maintain software updates for PCs that Configuration Manager manages.
- Use Configuration Manager to implement Endpoint Protection.
- Manage configuration items, baselines, and profiles to assess and configure compliance settings and data access for users and devices.
- Configure an operating-system deployment strategy by using Configuration Manager.
- Manage mobile devices by using Configuration Manager and Intune.
- Manage and maintain a Configuration Manager site.
Register for an Upcoming Date
This Course is Available On Demand
90 Day Access
90 Day Subscription
180 Day Access
180 Day Subscription
180 Day Access +
180 Day Subscription
Lesson 1: Managing Computers and Mobile Devices in the Enterprise
- Overview of systems management by using enterprise-management solutions
- Overview of the Configuration Manager architecture
- Overview of the Configuration Manager administrative tools
- Tools for monitoring and troubleshooting a Configuration Manager site
- Introduction to queries and reports
- Lab : Exploring the Configuration Manager tools
- Lab : Creating queries, and configuring Reporting Services
Lesson 2: Preparing the Management Infrastructure to Support PCS and Mobile Devices
- Configuring site boundaries and boundary groups
- Configuring resource discovery
- Configuring the Exchange Server Connector for mobile-device management
- Configuring user and device collections
- Lab : Configuring boundaries and resource discovery
- Lab : Configuring user and device collections
Lesson 3: Deploying and Managing Clients
- Overview of the Configuration Manager client
- Deploying the Configuration Manager client
- Configuring and monitoring client status
- Managing client settings in Configuration Manager
- Lab : Deploying the Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager client software
- Lab : Configuring and monitoring client status
- Lab : Managing Client Settings
Lesson 4: Managing Inventory for PCS and Applications
- Overview of inventory collection
- Configuring hardware and software inventory
- Managing inventory collection
- Configuring software metering
- Configuring and managing Asset Intelligence
- Lab : Configuring and managing inventory collection
- Lab : Configuring software metering
- Lab : Configuring and managing Asset Intelligence
Lesson 5: Distributing and Managing Content Used for Deployments
- Preparing the Infrastructure for Content Management
- Distributing and Managing Content on Distribution Points
- Lab: Distributing and Managing Content for Deployments
Lesson 6: Deploying and Managing Applications
- Overview of Application Management
- Creating Applications
- Deploying Applications
- Managing Applications
- Deploying virtual applications by using System Center Configuration Manager (optional)
- Deploying and managing Windows Store apps Lab : Creating and deploying applications
- Lab : Managing application supersedence and removal
- Lab : Deploying virtual applications by using Configuration Manager (Optional)
- Lab: Using Configuration Manager to deploy Windows Store apps
Lesson 7: Maintaining Software Updates for Managed PCS
- The software updates process
- Preparing a Configuration Manager site for software updates
- Managing software updates
- Configuring automatic deployment rules
- Monitoring and troubleshooting software updates
- Lab : Configuring the site for software updates
- Lab : Deploying and managing software updates
Lesson 8: Implementing Endpoint Protection for Managed PCS
- Overview of Endpoint Protection in Configuration Manager
- Configuring, deploying, and monitoring Endpoint Protection policies
- Lab : Implementing Microsoft System Center Endpoint Protection
Lesson 9: Managing Compliance and Secure Data Access
- Overview of compliance settings
- Configuring compliance settings
- Viewing compliance results
- Managing resource and data access
- Lab : Managing compliance settings
Lesson 10: Managing Operating-System Deployments
- An overview of operating-system deployment
- Preparing a site for operating-system deployment
- Deploying an operating-system
- Lab : Preparing a site for operating-system deployment
- Lab : Deploying operating-system images for bare-metal installations
Lesson 11: Mobile Device Management Using Configuration Manager and Microsoft Intune
- Overview of mobile-device management
- Managing mobile devices with on-premises infrastructure
- Managing mobile devices by using Configuration Manager and Intune
- Managing settings and protecting data on mobile devices
- Deploying applications to mobile devices
- Lab : Managing mobile devices with on-premises infrastructure
Lesson 12: Managing and Maintaining a Configuration Manager Site
- Configuring role-based administration
- Configuring remote tools
- Overview of Configuration Manager site maintenance
- Performing backup and recovery of a Configuration Manager site
- Lab : Configuring role-based administration
- Lab : Configuring Remote Tools
- Lab : Maintaining a Configuration Manager site