Training for Your Group
Training On Demand
Course Length: 3 days
Description: This five-day course describes how to assess operating system and application deployment options, determine the most appropriate deployment strategy, and then implement a deployment solution for Windows devices and apps that meets your environment’s needs. Solutions that this course details include operating system deployment scenarios ranging from high-touch solutions to zero-touch solutions. It also discusses the technologies that you use to implement these solutions, including the MDT and Configuration Manager.
Audience: This five-day course is for IT professionals who deploy, manage, and maintain PCs, devices, and apps across medium, large, and enterprise organizations. Typically, this course’s audience has a desktop-support background, and have worked as Enterprise Desktop Administrators. A significant portion of this audience uses or intends to use Configuration Manager to manage and deploy PCs, devices, and enterprise applications. The Enterprise Desktop Administrator also might use several tools, including the Windows ADK and the MDT to support assessment, operating system, and application deployment tasks. Additionally, this course is for individuals who are interested in taking the MCSE exam 70-695: Deploying Windows Desktops and Enterprise Applications.
- An understanding of on-premises virtualization technologies, including virtual machines, virtual networking, and virtual hard disks.
- An understanding of network configuration, including TCP/IP, Domain Name System (DNS), VPNs, firewalls, and encryption technologies.
- An understanding of web applications, including creating, configuring, monitoring, and deploying web applications on Internet Information Services (IIS).
- An understanding of Active Directory concepts, including domains, forests, domain controllers, replication, the Kerberos protocol, and Lightweigh Directory Access Protocol (LDAP).
- Knowledge of Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2016 fundamentals.
- Knowledge of Windows PowerShell command-line interface basics.
- Knowledge of cloud computing basics.
What You're Going To Learn
- Learn to assess the network environment to support operating system and application deployment tasks.
- Learn to identify the most appropriate operating system deployment strategy based upon organizational requirements.
- Learn to assess application compatibility issues and identify mitigation solutions to ensure that applications function successfully after an operating system deployment.
- Learn to describe and configure strategies to migrate user state during operating system deployments.
- Learn to determine the most appropriate image management strategy to support operating system and application deployments.
- Learn to describe and use the tools provided in the Windows ADK to prepare for and support automated deployment strategies.
- Learn to identify solutions to support PXE-initiated and multicast solutions when performing operating system deployment tasks.
- Learn to configure an operating system deployment strategy by using the MDT.
- Learn to configure an operating system deployment strategy using Configuration Manager.
- Learn to integrate the MDT with Configuration Manager to support operating system deployment procedures.
- Learn to implement volume license activation and configuration settings for client computers.
- Learn to customize and deploy Microsoft Office 2016 to an enterprise network environment, and describe how to use the Windows ICD.
Register for an Upcoming Date
This Course is Available On Demand
90 Day Access
90 Day Subscription
180 Day Access
180 Day Subscription
180 Day Access +
180 Day Subscription
1 – Assessing the Network Environment for Supporting Operating System and Application Deployment
- Overview of the enterprise desktop life cycle
- Assessing readiness for a desktop deployment by using Configuration Manager
- Assessing deployment readiness by using MAP
- Lab : Assessing the network environment for supporting operating system and application deployment
2 – Determining Operating System Deployment Strategies
- Understanding tools and strategies you can use for operating system deployment
- Using the Hight Touch with Retail Media deployment strategy
- Using the Hight Touch with a Standard Image deployment strategy
- Using a lite touch deployment strategy
- Using a zero touch deployment strategy
- Alternative deployment strategies for Windows desktops
- Lab : Determining operating system deployment strategies
3 – Assessing Application Compatibility
- Diagnosing application compatibility issues
- Mitigating application compatibility issues
- Using ACT to address application compatibility issues
- Lab : Assessing application compatibility
4 – Planning and Implementing User State Migration
- Overview of user state migration
- Overview of USMT 10.0
- Planning user state migration
- Migrating user state by using USMT
- Lab : Planning and implementing user state migration
5 – Determining an Image Management Strategy
- Overview of the Windows Image File Format
- Overview of Image Management
- Lab : Determining an Image Management Strategy
6 – Preparing For Deployments Using Windows ADK
- Overview of the Windows setup and installation process
- Preparing boot images by using Windows PE
- Using Windows SIM and Sysprep to automate and prepare an image installation
- Capturing and servicing a reference image using DISM
- Using the Windows ICD
- Lab : Preparing the Imaging and Windows PE Environment
- Lab : Building a Reference Image by Using Windows SIM and Sysprep
- Lab : Capturing and Servicing a Reference Image
- Lab : Using the Windows ICD
7 – Supporting PXE-Initiated and Multicast Operating System Deployments
- Overview of PXE-Initiated and Multicast Operating System Deployments
- Installing and Configuring the Windows DS Environment
- Lab : Configuring Windows DS to Support PXE and Multicast Operating System Deployments
8 – Implementing Operating System Deployment by Using the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit
- Planning for the MDT Environment
- Implementing MDT 2013
- Integrating Windows DS with MDT
- Lab : Operating System Deployment using the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit
9 – Managing operating system deployment
- Overview of Operating System Deployment
- Preparing the Site for Operating System Deployment
- Deploying an Operating System Image
- Lab : Preparing the Site for Operating System Deployment
- Lab : Deploying Operating System Images for Bare-Metal Installations
10 – Integrating MDT and Configuration Manager for Operating System Deployment
- Integrating deployment tools with Configuration Manager
- Integrating MDT with Configuration Manager
- Lab : Integrating MDT and Configuration Manager for Operating System Deployment
- Lab : Configuring UDI
11 – Activating Clients and Managing Additional Configuration Settings
- Volume License Activation Solutions
- Determining Additional Configuration Client Settings
- Lab : Configuring Additional Settings for Computer Clients
12 – Deploying Office 2016
- Methods for deploying Microsoft Office 2016 editions
- Customizing Office deployments
- Deploy Office 2016 by using Office 365
- Managing Office settings
- Introducing Windows Store for Business
- Distributing apps by using Windows Store for Business
- Lab : Deploying Microsoft Office 2013 Using the Office Customization Tool